First of all, when did July get here? Second of all, SUMMMMMMMMER!!!!
I love the summer. The fact that my wedding is getting closer and closer should stress me out, but really it just makes me excited. July is here, it’s warm, fruit is ripe, and I get to plan things. Dreams do come true everyone.
I can’t believe I haven’t posted these pics sooner, but I just found them on my phone last weekend and had to share. In May, Josh and I drove down to NC to visit his best man Peter, Stephanie and their adorable little girl Avery.
Not only was she the most adorable little thing, but she was officially the world’s best behaved baby. Seriously. She doesn’t cry. She just smiles. Josh is convinced that’s because she’s his God Daughter. 🙂
In addition to letting us oogle their child, Peter and Stephanie also took us to Mother Earth Brewing Co. to do a little sampling and brewery tour. It was awesome! Josh and I embarrassingly couldn’t finish our tasting flight (one of each brew on tap) but Peter was there to help. And Avery owned the bar.
“You have a baby. In a bar.”
…Name that movie!
We loved the architecture and the way that the team has revamped the space. It’s all green and LEED certified now and the newness shows. If this place was in DC I would definitely be hosting an even there soon. So for all of you in NC go check it out!
Josh and I were able to find the beer up here at our Whole Foods though which was magical. It actually saved my life after my cancelled flight two weeks ago.
Check it out, I give two thumbs way up!
HIIIIIIIIII! I MISS YOU GUYS! I’m sorry I haven’t posted in a while but I promise that I’m still alive. Lots of exciting things happening and so much to tell you. There has been so much in fact that I’ve been racing around just to stay afloat, but when my priest asked me last night in marriage prep, “What do you do for fun?”, my answer included planning and organizing things. I just love it!
So here’s what’s been happening lately…
Home Search 2014
Josh and I are researching, crunching numbers and looking at thousands of condos in Arlington. We are deciding whether to rent or buy and it’s been taking up a lot of time and energy. All good though… I’m learning so much! I feel incredibly empowered and prepared. Thank you to sweet, sweet Meg, Rach and Miemo for the housing search advice. I need all the help I can get!
I am a thousand posts behind on updates for you guys about the wedding. Although, I’m sure no one cares as much as I do. Upcoming topics will be shower games, how to send out invitations in an organized way, favors and welcome bags, and some of the amazing vendors I’ve used.
Right now we are in good shape. The invitations are going out this week! Eeeeee! We are meeting with our florist and DJ again in July. Our photographer rocks my socks off and is killing it. We have the cake tasting scheduled. And on 4th of July weekend I get to do my hair trial and GO TRY ON MY DRESS FOR THE FIRST TIME! Major win.
First and Last Film
Last weekend I helped Josh shoot a short film. You may have noticed all the pics I put on instagram. He’s submitting it for a few festivals and it was fun to help him bring this project to life. He wrote the piece and it will serve to showcase his work. Let me just say that I’ve never actually shot a short film. IT WAS EXHAUSTING! We filmed in our friend Emily’s apartment (she was so nice to let us use it) from 3pm – 1am on Saturday and then 9am – 4pm on Sunday. And that is considered quick for a film. Holy moly.
Now Josh is editing and I’ll be helping as I can. Josh taught me everything I need to know to shoot the corporate films I make at work, so it was awesome to learn even more. Although we were a little late to have dinner at Josh’s parents’ house and meet his extended family, we made it in time for cake. 🙂
Much like video, my boss looked at me two weeks ago and said “We should figure out how to do a podcast and start a series.” By ‘we’ she means me. So I’ve been busily researching and actually recorded my first podcast last week. Now I just have to figure out how to edit it all together and create the XML file to get it on iTunes. NBD. Hah!
I will say, that I have fallen in love with podcasts through my research. Did you know that you can download the free podcast app and then just listen to as many free podcasts as you want? My commute is so much better. Here are my favorite podcasts I’m listening to right now. You should check them out!
Just search for them in iTunes or follow the links below to listen on your computer. On your phone, I think it’s really easy to download this app and then search for the below names in it and ‘subscribe’. This is what I do and then I have them in my app and it tells me which is new. It’ll play on my phone or when I’m driving, through my car speakers.
So how are you lately?
Do you listen to any good podcasts?
Do you have any tips about creating one?
What would you want to hear from me if we did a She is Moments podcast?
Let’s be honest, if you fly one of these airlines, chances are you won’t get to your destination. At all. Ever. It won’t happen.
- I arrive at the airport and try to print my boarding pass for the first leg of my flight to Nashville
- I cannot print my boarding pass
- A rude US Airways employee yells at me that my flight has been cancelled like I was supposed to know even though I NEVER got a notification.
- I wait in line (also on the phone) for over an hour and get rebooked on a direct flight
- I celebrate
- I get through security and am waiting in line for a beer with a friend when he gets a call that this second flight was cancelled
- I get no notification
- We run out of the terminal (without beer) and get back in hellish line at US Airways counter
- I wait in line for over 2 hours (not on the phone because mine is dead from the first call)
- I eat weird snack foods I find in my purse to stay alive
- I watch everyone in line around me being told on their phones that there are no flights
- I sadly text my friends and prepare myself
- I let an 80 year old woman recovering from cancer use the last battery percentage on my phone to call her son since she was traveling alone (broke my heart!)
- I finally get to the counter and they tell me that there are no flights that will get me to Nashville before my return flight home
- I start to cry
- I stand there as they then tell me that they can’t refund my ticket because it was originally booked through American and even though they are merged that is not how it works
- I cry way harder
- I listen to the manager tell the poor man helping me that he can walk me down the terminal to American so I don’t have to wait in the two hour line there.
- I walk to the American desk and cry to their manager.
- I wait another 30 minutes before Josh comes to get me and I cry on him.
- I leave the airport with a few notes in my account, no flight, and no refund
- I call my friends and cry and tell them I can’t come
- I cry the whole way home
- I make Josh drive me to Whole Foods to get my some Belgian-style beer
- I got to attend my friend Erica’s bridal shower and give her my gift in person.
- I got to take Grandpa to dinner with my mom and aunt for Father’s Day at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse
- I got to go to an impromptu concert at Iota with Josh and hear the amazing Margot MacDonald
- I got to go to my pool
- I got to do laundry and cook veggies and feel good about my apartment
- I got to have a family bbq at Uncle Steve’s
- I got to open some belated shower presents at mom’s house
- I got to talk to my dad, patti and Julia for a long time on the phone
- I got to see all the pictures of Miriam and my Alpha Phi sisters having a great time (as they should!)
I cannot even begin to explain how much fun I had at my bridal shower last Saturday and how grateful I am to my Aunt Celeste for hosting it, Charlotte for planning such amazing games, Kristin for flying into town, my Mom for sending out the invitations, and my future MIL for bringing such yummy goodies to share. Oh, and not to mention the 30 of my family and friends who came to support me, play silly games, drink mimosas and shower me with love and presents.
The house was decorated in green and pink from floor to ceiling and I about exploded with giggles I was so happy. Picture me running around the house taking pictures and squealing. There, now it’s like you were there. 🙂
The food and drinks were spectacular. I think the most popular (and my favorite) was the mimosa bar. There were frozen raspberries and three different types of fruit juice to mix with the champagne. I was in heaven. While the orange was classic I really liked the mango and the pomegranate mixers. Not too sweet and really refreshing!
There were also little hot dogs, strawberries and angel food cake, sandwiches, egg salad, chocolate covered apricots, chocolate chip cookies, tomatoes and mozzarella, and the list goes on and on! It was so yummy! And everything had some kind of green or pink incorporated, even if it was on a green plate!
Mom picked out the favors for the group which were adorable coaster sets. (I got two!) And Aunt Celeste had me bring my recipe box with my new name on it (a gift from Kevin and Kathy for Christmas) and each guest contributed one of their favorite recipes. I LOVE this gift and will treasure making recipes from my family (and new family!) and friends.
Seeing friends that I’ve had since Kindergarten and getting to spend time with Josh’s grandmothers was really special. I have such a close relationship with my Grandpa, but my mother’s and father’s mom’s passed away when I was younger. It’s been really fun getting to know Josh’s grandmas and I love being able to grow my relationships with them!
For dessert, Charlotte picked up a white chocolate raspberry cake from Victoria’s Cakery. This was such a special treat as this will be our wedding cake! Everyone at the party was raving about it so I think they’ll be excited to see it again at the reception.
Charlotte was also SO CUTE. She told me that she specifically requested the lightest color pink for the frosting. She nailed it!
Thank you thank you THANK YOU to everyone who made my shower so special!
I wish there was a better way I could explain this, but I really love these people. I know that no matter how far apart the world flings us, we will always come back to each other and it will always, always feel like home.
Here’s what this week looked like in exercise:
Monday – OTH Elliptical Session
Tuesday – Total Body Class
Wednesday – HITT
Thursday – Total Body Class
Friday – Intense Stretching and Stairmaster Burn
As you know I’ve been diligently planning my wedding which doesn’t leave a lot of spending money left over for me. I’m sure that many of you, for whatever reason, may feel this way too. So after sponsoring the lovely Marquis’ blog, when I had the chance to help YOU win some extra spending money, I jumped at it.
Click the rafflecopter link below to enter and I really hope you win!
What you win: $200 smackeroos.
Why: It’s Marquis’ almost birthday and I wanted to help share the wealth!
Who: You! This giveaway is open internationally.
Motivation: For maxi dresses, ice cream or whatever!
Thanks to Marquis and the other lovely co-hosts below!