Today traffic was heavier than usual, I woke up late, my hair is still wet, and I have a lot of meetings. Let’s just say I put on my grumpy pants this morning.
But so what?! The world is good. Sometimes even annoying days are good. They give me perspective and teach me patience.
Today (and everyday) it’s important to be mindful of all the things that make us happy. Even if they are small, the results can be big!
These 10 things make me INSANELY happy!
10. Coffee. I love my morning coffee. When I’m not drinking caffeine, I even drink decaf. What a delicious way to start the day. Just thinking about the aroma makes me happy.
9. Sunshine and greenery. Looking out my bedroom window at the sun-soaked trees is one of the most beautiful moments of my day.
7. Sweatpants. Ok, don’t judge me. I love them. There is no better feeling than coming home and changing into sweatpants. It’s as if the pants are saying, “You’re free! Be yourself. I love you no matter what. And even better, I will always, ALWAYS fit.” Sweatpants are like the clothing version of a best friend.
6. Reading a magazine on the elliptical. Happy time. I feel great about myself after, I’m relaxed during, and I’m enjoying the pleasantries of In Style, Cosmopolitan, or Oprah. Yes, I know what you’re thinking… “If you’re enjoying the workout, you’re probably not working out hard enough.” Well you know what smarty pants, you’re probably right. You know what else, I just don’t care! I have tried a variety of exercise options and I am happiest when I can sweat it out on the elliptical while reading. It’s me time. I feel like I’m accomplishing a goal at the same time that I’m mentally relaxing. Yes please. Dear gym, you had me at elliptical!
5. My family. We are a quirky bunch, but I love spending time with my family. I will be honest and say that after a few days, I usually need some alone time again, but that’s only because we are so high energy! I am even more of a goofball around my family – on all sides – how cool is that?
4. Food. I love food. I love to eat. I love to try new things. I ordered Chinese food on Sunday night with my mom because I really wanted it. She laughed as I danced around the driveway when it came and sang a little diddy of love to my chopsticks. I can’t help it. It’s genuine. I love to eat. It makes me happy. 🙂
3. Singing. I feel like I’ve talked about this a lot here but you can read about my love of acting, musicals, and singing in general. I feel like when I’m on stage or singing in my church choir, or even performing on my karaoke team that I’m using my whole self, all of my energy to power my voice. It’s not often in my life that I’m 100% engaged on whatever task I’m doing. Usually I’m multi-tasking or thinking about next steps. But when I perform, I’m in the moment. And the moment is HAPPY!
2. Being outside, next to water, in the warm summer air. Despite the fact that my skin turns the color of a lobster when I’m in the sun too long, I am a child of the summer. I love the heat, the sun, the sand, the chlorine, all of it. I love being poolside or digging my feet in the sand while I read. I didn’t always appreciate how much I craved being outside in the sun and in the water, but now desk life has taught me that I’m just a fish out of water. It’s almost time and you can bet your bottom dollar that I’ll be wearing SPF 100 and frolicking around in the sun as soon as it’s warm enough.
1. Josh. How blessed am I to have this wonderful man in my life?! He makes me laugh, holds me when I cry, treats me like a princess, and pushes me to be the best version of myself. Last night at karaoke he signed us up to sing A Whole New World without me knowing. At the end of the song, he kissed me and then looked at the crowd and said, “What? We’re dating. It’s ok.” Completely the most adorable and lovable man in the world!